Babies on the Brain

Baby and Godmother

My best friend is adorably pregnant and due this winter. We’ve been besties since meeting as awkward 10-year-olds and have shared many of life’s biggest milestones ever since. This, coupled with a recent resurgence in my love of YouTube mommy vloggers, has rekindled my baby hunger. Oh, and the fact that I am a late-twenty-something female full of hormones might also have something to do with it!

I’ve talked about it before, this urge to procreate. For awhile my desire for a little one lessened quite a bit. Vince and I were bouncing across the Atlantic; I didn’t have a stable career; and I wanted to do nothing but travel. While the desire for travel and adventure persists, I am thinking more and more about the next big step in our lives: having a kidlet.

Working where we do poses some challenges to starting a family. We live in company-provided housing and while it’s awesome and allows us to save a lot of money, it doesn’t leave a lot of room for nesting. Thinking long term, I am unsure where our kids would go to school; we live 20 miles from the nearest town with an elementary school. Selfishly, I also want to see more of the world and having kids would make that harder, although not impossible.

The biggest obstacle, however, is the timing. (Well…There may be one even more menacing challenge, but perhaps I will get into that another day.)

The nature of my job does not allow me to pop out a kid willy nilly. Summers are our bread and butter (being a seasonal lodge and all), and it would be impossible to take maternity leave from May-September. That means we have to plan when to conceive and thus, when the babe would make its grand entrance.

This just takes all the fun out of it!

As it stands, I think we’ll be waiting for another year or so. As much as I would like to be a mom before turning 30, it may not be in the cards.

For now, I will count my blessings and take advantage of the fact that we are young, financially stable, and able to jet set across the globe whenever we choose.

When the time is right for a baby…we will know!

When did you know you were ready for a family? Did you plan it or did it just…happen?

RSS feed | Bloglovin’ | Facebook | Twitter |  Instagram | Pinterest | Flickr | Goodreads

If you’d like to keep up on my Alaskan exploits, please follow Suitcase Sweethearts on Bloglovin’

8 Comments on Babies on the Brain

1. Lindsay
    September 6, 2013 at 8:39 am (11 months ago)

Sometimes I “wish” that it would just happen by accident because then I wouldn’t have to decide…lol. I just get worn out trying to “plan” for when it will “work best” … but like everyone’s saying, I’m pretty sure it’ll happen when’s right, not when I think is best. :)

2. Lauren
    August 25, 2013 at 5:44 pm (11 months ago)

I was wondering how that could work out, being in a more remote location in Alaska. I think you’re right- when the time is right, you’ll know. For now, you guys are very lucky to enjoy traveling around with such ease!

• whitneybg
      August 30, 2013 at 1:47 am (11 months ago)

To be honest, not starting a family now has more to do with my own priorities rather than our current living situation. There are still a lot of things I want to do/see before taking that step into selfless mommy-hood. But eventually I will leave it up to fate and things will work out how they are meant to! After all, being a mom is the biggest adventure of them all, as you know!

3. Rachel G
    August 18, 2013 at 3:28 pm (12 months ago)

At the moment, I think we lean toward the idea that it would be nice to plan and schedule having children when it works best with our schedule…but part of me has a feeling that “planning” rarely works perfectly in these cases. :P

• whitneybg
      August 18, 2013 at 8:54 pm (12 months ago)

I agree, Rachel. I’d like to think that I can micro-manage this part of our lives, but I know in the back of my mind that it will happen when it’s supposed to…not when I necessarily deem the “right” time!

4. Carolynn (@moonofsilver)
    August 18, 2013 at 11:10 am (12 months ago)

We have been trying tor 8 months, no luck here. Makes me realize a whole lot about myself and what I want. I am 26.

• whitneybg
      August 18, 2013 at 8:57 pm (12 months ago)

That’s one of my biggest worries, Carolynn. I have some medical issues (PCOS), so while I’d like to wait to have children, part of me thinks I should start trying now because it could take a long time to conceive. Best of luck on your journey! Please keep in touch.

5. deanna
    August 13, 2013 at 7:12 am (12 months ago)

i don’t know. gage wasn’t planned and it was scary for us. but we did plan owsley. and i thought it was actually kind of fun ‘trying’ to have a baby. :)